Apple just updated its three operating systems. iOS and tvOS were focused on TV app for upcoming TV service from Apple, while watchOS was about increasing numbers of European countries with ECG support and compatibility with AirPods 2. All updates are free, just don’t forget, as usual, backup your data to safe place, like external HDD, NAS or cloud. Today’s operating systems are very complex and there is no 100% warranty that update won’t break anything.
As for iOS, the biggest focus was on TV app, which has been overhauled and enhanced with a new look and fresh functionality. After several weeks of beta testing, the new TV app, which was first introduced at March 25 event, is ready to be released. In this version, a “Watch Now” and “Up Next” are still in focus for keeping track of the TV shows and movies that you’re watching, but since now Apple’s TV app supports machine-learning based recommendation engine for better suggestions.
The TV app’s interface has been streamlined with sections for movies, TV shows, sports, and children’s content and new “Channels” feature was added, which is a major component for Apple’s upcoming new services. The new Apple TV app is available in more than 100 countries starting today, and with Family Sharing, up to six family members are able to share subscriptions to Apple TV channels. Channels content can be watched both online or offline.
With AirPlay 2 support, you can share your videos, photos, music and more from your iOS device directly to your AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV. Some bugs were fixed too.
Full release list:
iOS 12.3 includes support for AirPlay 2-enabled TVs and features a redesigned Apple TV app. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements:
- AirPlay 2 now supports sharing videos, photos, music and more from your iPhone and iPad directly to your AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV
- One tap playback automatically plays your chosen TV show or movie on the last screen you used based on time and location
- Siri Suggestions to watch movies and TV shows now include an option to AirPlay
- Intelligent suggestions are all done on-device so your personal information stays private
Apple TV app
- The Apple TV app features an all new design that highlights expertly curated collections and personalized recommendations
- Apple TV channels offer subscriptions to HBO, Showtime, Starz, and more, available to watch directly in the Apple TV app, online or off
- Subscriptions to Apple TV channels can be shared with up to six family members, with no new apps, accounts, or passwords needed
- New release movies are available to buy or rent in the Apple TV app, including the full catalog of 100,000+ movies and the largest selection of 4K HDR titles
- A new dedicated kids section helps you discover editorially-handpicked shows and movies safe for kids of all ages
- The Apple TV app can now intelligently suggest playing to the most likely Apple TVs or AirPlay 2-enabled TVs nearby
This update also includes bug fixes and improvements. This update:
- Adds the ability to follow a magazine from the Apple News+ catalog browsing view
- Apple Music’s For You tab now updates multiple times a day suggesting music based on themes like genres, artists, and moods you love
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Apple TV Remote from pausing video, controlling video, or changing volume on supported receivers
- Addresses an issue that could cause calls made using Wi-Fi calling to drop
- Fixes an issue where song information from a connected iPhone may not appear in a car’s display
Update is available over-the-air for all compatible devices.
As for watchOS, this is just a minor update focused on performance improvements and bug fixes. As for Apple’s release note, the update makes the ECG app and irregular heart rhythm notifications available in Croatia, Czech Republic, Iceland, Poland, and finally in my home country Slovakia.
New watchOS can be downloaded for free through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50% battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.
Full release list:
This update includes new features, improvements and bug fixes:
- ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 now available in Croatia, Czech Republic, Iceland, Poland and Slovakia
- Irregular heart rhythm notifications now available in Croatia, Czech Republic, Iceland, Poland and Slovakia
- Fixes an issue where the numbers on the Explorer face would not appear for some users
As for tvOS, it now features overhauled TV app. Design is similar to the “old” TV app, but it got refreshed and modern look with new features for Apple’s upcoming services.
For 3rd generation of Apple TV, Apple released a 7.3 software update with important security update.
tvOS can be updated by going to System -> Software Update. If you have automatic software turned on, no actions are required.
New version number(s):
- iOS – 12.3
- watchOS – 5.2.1
- tvOS – 12.3