Apple recently updated all of its major operating systems – macOS for Macs, iOS for iPhones and iPads, watchOS for Apple Watches and tvOS for 4th and 5th generation of Apple TV set-top-box. Last time, watchOS was rolled back, because it was causing some Apple Watches to brick, but as for now, issue was fixed. As usual, backup all your data before upgrading any of these operating systems! We recommend to save your data on external drive and another backup to devices like NAS or cloud (ideally both). Now let’s look what’s new.
Actual macOS Mojave update was about performance improvements and bug fixes for issues that weren’t addressed in macOS Mojave 10.14.1. No major features were added:
- Adds RTT (real-time text) support for Wi-Fi calling
- Adds a menu item to News for opening a story in Safari
- Resolves an issue that may prevent iTunes from playing media to third-party AirPlay speakers
- Allows administrators to enable FileVault via MDM for mobile accounts and users created by MDM
- Allows users to reset their login password at the login window when that password has expired via a password policy
- Resolves an issue that prevents displays from working when connected to MacBook Pro models introduced in 2018, if certain third-party USB graphics devices are also connected
Current version of iOS is just minor release with some notable changes. FaceTime again allows you to take Live Photos while video chatting, but it requires the person you’re video chatting with to have the “FaceTime Live Photos” setting toggled on, which can be accessed by going to Settings -> FaceTime -> FaceTime Live Photos. If this setting is disabled, people you chat with won’t be able to take a Live Photo during the call. Bottom bar now offers up quick access buttons for muting a call and flipping the camera. Sliding up on the bottom bar brings up additional options with conversation participants.
As for iPhone XR, this iOS update introduces support for Haptic Touch with notifications. Haptic Touch can now be used to expand notifications on the Lock screen through a long press to see additional content. This is identical to the 3D Touch option on notifications on other iPhones. 3D Touch was introduced with iPhone 6s, but iPhone SE and all iPads never got this feature.
If you own Apple Watch Series 4, iOS update introduces ECG support on your paired Apple Watch. A single-lead ECG reading, which detects your heart rhythm, can be taken on an Apple Watch Series 4 by placing a finger on the Digital Crown after updating to watchOS 5.1.2.
Another updates are about ability to hide side bar on iPads while using Apple News in landscape, to turn off the physical SIM in the device in favor of the eSIM and Apple Watch app got tweaked icon.
Changelog, as Apple said:
- Notification preview using haptic touch on iPhone XR
- Dual SIM with eSIM for additional carriers on iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max
- One tap to flip between the rear and front-facing camera during a FaceTime call
- Live Photo capture during one-to-one FaceTime calls
- The option to hide the sidebar in News on iPad in landscape orientation
- Real-time text (RTT) when using Wi-Fi calling on iPad and iPod touch
- Stability improvements for dictation along with VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where Face ID may temporarily become unavailable
- Addresses an issue that prevented visual voicemail from downloading for some customers
- Fixes an issue in Messages that could prevent predictive text suggestions when typing on the Chinese or Japanese keyboards
- Addresses an issue that could prevent Voice Memos recordings from uploading to iCloud
- Fixes an issue where time zones may not have updated automatically
This release also adds features and fixes bugs for HomePod including:
- Support in Mainland China and Hong Kong
- HomePod LEDs illuminate during Group FaceTime call
As for watchOS, new version after buggy watchOS 5.1, which caused some Apple Watch Series 4 to become brick, was released. Now you can enjoy Group FaceTime in an audio only capacity on the wrist, allowing Apple Watch owners to answer Group FaceTime calls using FaceTime Audio. As in macOS and iOS update, Apple Watches got over 70 new emojis.
Update can be installed via dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.
New version of tvOS is really tiny upgrade and Apple itself did not provide release notes. Update was focused on bug fixes and under-the-hood performance improvements. Update can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System -> Software Update.
New version number(s):
- macOS – 10.14.2
- iOS – 12.1.1
- watchOS – 5.1.1
- tvOS – 12.1.1