Apple today updated macOS, iOS, watchOS and tvOS. Probably the most awaited features are Night Shift for macOS and new filesystem APFS (Apple File System) for iOS. Another new feature is support to reply on customers’ reviews from app developers on (Mac) App Store. For iOS users, we strongly recommend to do full backup of yours iOS device due to new filesystem – old HFS+ filesystem will be converted to brand-new APFS – and this conversion of filesystem may in some causes cause issues. Of course, you should make backup everytime when updating system, but as for iOS devices, it is crucial for now.
Main feature for macOS Sierra is Night Shift. This function was included in iOS since 9.3 and now it’s coming to Macs. Night Shift reduces blue light from monitor, which has, as scientists discovered, affect on quality of sleep. Update for macOS Sierra was focused on Night Shift, but some other improvements, including security, stability and performance improvements are present too.
Note for OS X Yosemite and OS X El Capitan users: security update 2017-001 was released.
iOS has got much more updates. Beside APFS and App Store reviews, iOS 10.3 got new feature called “Find my AirPods”, which is integrated in Find My iPhone. You can track your AirPods, but they must be near iPhone. Otherwise, last known location is displayed. Playing sound from one or both AirPods is supported too. Other news are better animations for opening and closing apps, Apple ID profile is more personal and added notifications for older 32-bit apps that may slow your iOS device and may be not compatible with future versions of iOS. Update is available via Settings app under Preferences app -> General -> Software Update or via iTunes app running on your Mac or PC.
Here list complete list of changes, as Apple reports:
Find My iPhone:
- View the current or last known location of your AirPods
- Play a sound on one or both AirPods to help you find them
- Support for paying and checking status of bills with payment apps
- Support for scheduling with ride booking apps
- Support for checking car fuel level, lock status, turning on lights and activating horn with automaker apps
- Cricket sports scores and statistics for Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council
- Shortcuts in the status bar for easy access to last used apps
- Apple Music Now Playing screen gives access to Up Next and the currently playing song’s album
- Daily curated playlists and new music categories in Apple Music
Other improvements and fixes
- Rent once and watch your iTunes movies across your devices
- New Settings unified view for your Apple ID account information, settings and devices
- Hourly weather in Maps using 3D Touch on the displayed current temperature
- Support for searching “parked car” in Maps
- Calendar adds the ability to delete an unwanted invite and report it as junk
- Home app support to trigger scenes using accessories with switches and buttons
- Home app support for accessory battery level status
- Podcasts support for 3D Touch and Today widget to access recently updated shows
- Podcast shows or episodes are shareable to Messages with full playback support
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Maps from displaying your current location after resetting Location & Privacy
- VoiceOver stability improvements for Phone, Safari and Mail
watchOS was updated too. It can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update. To install the update, the Apple Watch must have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone. You will need iOS 10 on your iPhone to update your Apple Watch.
New watchOS introduces Theater Mode. This feature allows you to mute the sound on watch and to disable Raise to Wake. Haptic feedback-based notifications works under Theater Mode and notifications can be viewed by pressing down on the Digital Crown or tapping on the screen.
New SiriKit is added too to Apple Watch, so you can use Siri to send messages, send payments, make a call or search through photos. SiriKit was available on iOS 10, but now is included in Apple’s smart watches too.
Some improvements were done on tvOS too. It improves scrolling behavior, allowing tvOS users to scroll through large lists of information more quickly. A longer swipe on the Siri remote activates the new scrolling mode, and a swipe on the right side of the remote allows users to navigate specific indexes. Some improvements of performance and bug fixes are present too.
New version number(s):
- macOS – 10.12.4
- iOS – 10.3
- watchOS – 3.2
- tvOS – 10.2